The Many Reasons to Choose
- The best start for your baby. The latest research, released in 2014 by The Midwives Alliance of North America (MANA), found that among a sample of 17,000 planned home births:
- 97% percent of babies were carried to full-term and weighed an average of eight pounds at birth.
- Nearly 98% were being breastfed at the six-week postpartum visit with their midwife.
- Only 1% of babies required transfer to the hospital after birth, most for non-urgent conditions.
- Low rate of interventions during your birth. As reported in the MANA Study, "Only 4.5% of the total MANA Stats sample required oxytocin augmentation and/or epidural analgesia, which is notably lower than rates of these interventions reported more broadly in the United States (26% for oxytocin augmentation and 67% for epidural analgesia)".
- Very low rate of cesarean deliveries. The 2014 MANA study also found that of the 17,000 planned home births, only 5.7% ended up birthing their babies via cesarean. This is compared to the national average of approximately 31% for full-term pregnancies.
- High VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean) success rate. For low-risk women and babies, the chance of a VBAC is very high (>90%) when birthing with our practice.
- Continuity of care. At Rose City Midwifery, your midwives will follow you throughout the course of your prenatal, birth, and postpartum care. No strangers at your birth and friendly, familiar faces at each of your visits.
- Informed choice. Each decision you make during your pregnancy will be made in consultation with your midwife, not by your midwife. Our goal is to focus on providing our clients with the education and resources necessary to feel confident in parenting.
- 24/7 on-call availability. Your midwives will be only a phone call away whenever you need them during your care.
- Referrals to complementary healthcare providers as is necessary. For the majority of our clients, we are able to completely manage their care without outside consultations. If more serious health concerns do arise, the Rose City midwives have access to a large network of providers that ensure our clients receive the most comprehensive care possible.
- Excellent working relationships with local hospitals. Rose City Midwifery knows that in some situations, a hospital birth is the safest option for client and baby. We maintain excellent working relationships with hospital providers to ensure a smooth transfer of care for our clients, were it to become necessary.
- Licensed, experienced, skilled care providers. As midwives, we maintain yearly licensure in Oregon and national midwifery certification. We also maintain current certification and training in CPR, neonatal resuscitation, and LD&D (Legends, Drugs, and Devices).
- The familiarity and comfort of birthing in your own space. We firmly believe that birthing in an environment of familiar sights, sounds, and smells leads to better birth outcomes. There is something that feels so right about home birth, as it allows women to meet their baby in the space that they feel most at ease in.
- Birth plan? Our care covers all that. When planning a home birth, our clients and their babies will be treated with the utmost respect and gentle care. Our default practices include minimal cervical checks during labor, immediate skin-to-skin in the postpartum, and delayed cord clamping. You can move, eat, and drink as you please! You can also create the guest list to your liking and can have as many or as few labor support persons as you wish.
- Incredible postpartum care and support. Rose City Midwifery offers postpartum visits at 24-36 hours, 3-4 days, 1 week, 2 weeks, 4 weeks, and 6-8 weeks. We provide our clients with the personal support, attention, and education necessary to grow healthy babies, develop long-lasting breastfeeding relationships, and attentively heal and support postpartum minds and bodies.
Read more at: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jmwh.12165/full